Cisco Re-Certification

Cisco Re-Certification

For those Engineers that look to certify themselves in a plethora of technologies, we have a choice to keep up to date or fall behind. In particular I want to speak on Cisco's certifications and process. I got the dreaded emails from Cisco that it was time to re-certify. I say "dreaded" because we are all busy and taking an exam can take time and energy BUT such is the field we have chosen, it is a necessary evil.

Wow, three (3) years goes by fast eh? Some said study and sit the CCIE Security Written but as with many certified Engineers that are actively working projects etc. it is not always possible to take 2-3 months to prepare for an exam.

With that said, I decided that I could not be prepared to sit the Security Written, so I chose what I remembered to be a fun exam, and this exam would re-certify my CCNP R&S, CCNP Security certs.

TSHOOT (300-135) Part One

I decided to take the exam cold, with no preparation whatsoever. I mean, after all it has been years since I first sat the exam and where I am today technically compared to then is night and day right?!


TSHOOT seems to follow the same pattern as it did before, you will be presented with tickets and various MCQ's and DnD scenarios. 

I sat the exam on 11/18/17 - The ever so familiar nerves began to appear as I drove to the exam center, for me cold hands are my first indicator that I am sitting an exam. At this point, I embrace it and laugh about it knowing that once I sit down at the desk, I will focus and not be worried about anything but tackling the exam one question at a time.

I cannot share details of the exam nor would I as it would break Cisco's NDA and I kind of like my certifications and professional integrity! With that said, TSHOOT remains a fun exam and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, however as I clicked next on the last item the results were in: FAILED

Wha? lol How could this happen? I mean, I am a solid "real world" Engineer with years of experience. Ok, now that I have stepped down off my soapbox I will explain. Going in, my only concern was the MCQ's and DnD's as these can sometimes cover details that are long forgotten and this was for me my issue. There were a few questions that I simply did the best I could but had long forgotten those details and like many in the "real" world we would use "?" and find what we need. However, we do not have that luxury as we sit exams, we must remember the fine details and I took it on the chin and did what I think most Engineers would do, I learned from the experience and went back and studied the topics.

                                                        TSHOOT (300-135) Part Deux


Like Rocky Balboa in Rocky II...the rematch was on and scheduled for 11/27/17....ok..horrible reference but yes, the rematch was scheduled and I still had some training to do!!!

I spent the next week googling the topics I know I had likely missed, made sure to write them on paper to better help with remembering the fine details. I ran various commands through some real gear allowing me to cross reference the details etc. It was time...ding ding ding....

I sat the exam this morning, I felt confident going in. For me, the tickets are simply fun and not something I am overly concerned about but the MCQ's and DnD's would tell the tale, did I study the appropriate material? I always take my time, sit and draw the L3 traffic flow of the topology making it easier to cross reference instead of pulling up the actual L2/L3 topology on the screen. I knocked out ticket after ticket, then came some questions...I took my time and felt good that I had prepared well but just as I had answered an MCQ and as I clicked next I knew I had made a wrong selection...nooo...too late! Ok, that made me nervous but I carried on...

I finished the exam with just over an hour left on the clock, I felt good but nervous as I know 1 ticket was questionable and the known missed MCQ! I finished up and clicked next....and the result was

I passed the exam! I did far better this time around so I consider this a TKO win (9xx/1000), I would have liked a clean KO (1000/1000) but a TKO will do!



The moral of this blog is that despite how many years of experience we may have it isn't ideal to approach any exam unprepared. Some preparation should always be done IMO and this experience has just reinforced that ideal. Looking back, I am glad I failed because it made the rematch and end result that much sweeter! 


I now have some time to see what is next, perhaps the CCIE Security Written? Stay tuned and we shall see....

Until then..keep the traffic flowing..and secure!!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SSL Decryption with Palo Alto NGFW

SSL Decryption with Cisco Firepower Management Center

Cisco Firepower Management Center v6.2 - Reference Guide